What do you do?
Beneficiaries and unwaged workers trust (BUWT) is an advocacy agency aimed at helping people who need it. BUWT’s services range from advocacy to support and help with benefit entitlement. BUWT works with people who need help with issues surrounding benefit entitlement, benefit issues, inquiries, medical appeals and review of decisions.

How much do you cost?
BUWT is a free service.

Help! I have no money or food! What should I do?
Book in an emergency appointment with Work and Income in order to discuss whether you can get a Special Needs Grant (SNG) for food. If you have issues with this process, contact BUWT to help you through the appointment. If you are unable to get a SNG, BUWT may be able to refer you on further to another organisation that can help you with this.

I lost my job! How do I see Work and Income?
If you are unsure of how to work through the process at Work and Income and would like information pertaining to this, phone BUWT. It is important that you book an appointment with Work and Income as soon as you can as there is a stand down period that ranges depending on your circumstances. This means there will be a time where you will not be getting an income or a benefit. This depends on your circumstances.

Help! Work and Income cut my benefit! What do I now?
Phone BUWT to discuss your situation.

Who can use BUWT?
BUWT is a free service available to anyone over the age of 18. People under 18 are pointed in the direction of Presbyterian Support for help regarding the services covered. BUWT can also work with people who have been trespassed from Work and Income so can no longer work directly with Work and Income themselves.

How do I know you won’t go telling WINZ my information?
BUWT does not work with Work and Income in that way. Any information shared at BUWT is confidential and will not be discussed without the client’s permission and signature on an Authority to Access Information form. This form gives advocates permission to talk to case managers about a clients situation. Client files at BUWT are kept for 12 months and if inactive after 12 months then shredded. Clients receiving the Supported Living Payment need to talk to their advocate as their files are kept for 24 months due to the 2 yearly roll over period often implemented by Work and Income.

Do I need to make an appointment?
BUWT is a drop in service that anyone can access during the hours of 9:30am and 3:30pm Monday to Thursday. Due to case load it is helpful if clients phone ahead tobook appointments as advocates may be unable to help at the time due to prior appointments. Advocates may also be able to assist over the phone.

Will you go to Work and Income for me?
BUWT advocates can attend Work and Income meetings with clients. A meeting beforehand to discuss the situation and whether or not BUWT thinks it is necessary is needed however.

%d bloggers like this: